Frequently Asked Questions:
What kind of gun can I use?
Your gun must fit in a standardized box to be legal for IDPA. Usually the gun is ready to go for IDPA as you get it from the gun store.
Generally these rules apply:
- You can use a Revolver of .38 caliber or larger with a barrel length of 4 inches or less.
- You can use a Pistol of 9mm caliber or larger with a barrel length of 5? or less.
- There are additional rules for equipment you can have on the gun. The main option that comes with a standard gun that is not allowed is a compensated barrel.
- Additional disallowed enhancements are large magazine wells and optics.
- There is a complete set of requirements in the rule book a www.idpa.com
What is a cover garment?
In IDPA you must wear something to cover your handgun and ammo. This simulates how you would carry your gun if you had a CCW.
It can be a shirt, jacket, vest or even a long t-shirt. The garment must cover the entire gun with your arms stretched out at shoulder height.
What kind of holster can I use?
The IDPA rule book at www.idpa.com has a comprehensive set of rules for holsters.
- In general, your holster must cover the trigger guard.
- It must be a holster you would use to carry your concealed weapon.
- Any kind of ‘inside-the-waistband’ holster is acceptable although it must stay open after the draw so you can re-holster without using your support hand.
- The holster must be at your waist. A drop leg holster is not acceptable unless you are an active LE officer and wear your full duty rig.
- The holster should be very close to vertical. it cannot have the muzzle pointed forward or radically backwards.
Are the holster requirements different for women?
Yes. Women may use a ‘dropped-and-offset’ holster because a straight holster may not fit adequately.
What kind of belt do I need?
A strong belt that fits through the belt loops in your pants and is wide enough to keep the holster from moving back and forth is sufficient.
Whatever belt you choose, it must be run through the belt loops of your pants to hold it secure while drawing and holstering.
What position must my holster be in?
Your holster is worn on your strong side (left side if you are left-handed; right if you are right-handed) at the mid-line of your body.
You ammunition carrier (double mag pouch) should be just behind the mid-line of your body on the opposite side from the gun.